Skip to main content

West Las Vegas High School, Las Vegas, New Mexico

 Record Group — Box: NO 254, Folder: DF2904
Identifier: NO 533.00

Dates

  • Existence: 1947-1951

Biographical / Historical

The board of directors of the West Las Vegas (New Mexico) public school district bought the Sacred Heart Training College property from the Christian Brothers and asked the brothers to help their superintendent plan and staff their first high school. West Las Vegas High School opened in September 1947 with Brother Berchmans Lewis (David Tejada) as community director and school principal and Brother August Joseph (José Ramón Valdez), Ambrose Basil (Howard LeBlanc), and Bonaventure Alfred (Arthur Baltz) as teachers. At the end of the school year in 1951 the brothers withdrew from West Las Vegas High School, in obedience to Archbishop Edwin V. Byrne of Santa Fe. As a consequence of the Dixon School Case (Zeller v. Huff) Byrne ordered all priests and religious brothers and sisters teaching in public schools in his archdiocese to withdraw, even if they were not affected by the lawsuit.

Extent

1 Files

Drop Folder Content

Two Letters Re Sale of Sacred Heart Training College Property Two Letters Re Withdrawing All Religious from Public Schools Institute Financial Reports 1947-1951 Flyer-50th Anniversary Newspaper--The Caballero May 18,1949, May 26,1950 News Article--A Legend remembered (Football Coach Fank Herrera), 1991

Repository Details

Part of the New Orleans-Santa Fe District Archives of the De La Salle Christian Brothers Repository

Contact:
4401 Redwood Road
Napa CA USA
707-252-3826