La Salle High School, San Antonio, Texas
- Existence: 1957-1968
Biographical / Historical
At the request pf Archbishop Lucey of San Antonio, Texas, the Brothers of the Christian Schools agreed to take over one of the new schools which he was opening in San Antonio in an effort to spread Catholic education in this area. Accordingly, in 1957, La Salle High School was opened in southern San Antonio. It served an area which was primarily lower middle class, having a rather heavy population of Latin-Americans. From the beginning the school was a success, and students and parents were supportive and happy with the school. During its eleven years of existence, it established a reputation for serious academics and for its athletic competition. In 1968, Archbishop Lucey decided that the expansion of the catholic high schools had been too extensive, and faced with a decrease in the number or members of religious congregations teaching in schools, he made the decision that some of the schools would be closed. Targeted for closure at this time was La Salle High School. Although the parents made every effort to keep the school open, the decision of the archbishop was followed, and La Salle closed at the end of the 1967-1968 school year.