Skip to main content

St. Augustine School, Bronx, New York

 Record Group — Box: 1-3
Identifier: NY-561

Dates

  • 1907 - 1977

Biographical / Historical

Work on the new school was begun on April 30, 1905, the cornerstone of the new building on Franklin Avenue was laid by Archbishop Farley. The building was erected and equipped for $125,000. The school was dedicated June 17, 1905. Rev. O.B. Pardow had no knowledge of the Brothers and he intended to have the Sisters of Charity take full charge of the school. Acting on a few suggestions about procuring the Brothers for his school, the Rev. Pastor met with Brother Joseph and requested Brother be sent there to teach. Four Brothers were sent for the opening of the school in September 1906.

From 1906 to 1908, the Brothers working at St. Augustine School residence at the Second Street community. In 1909, Brothers moved to a new St. Augustine Community at 1180 Fulton Avenue.

The Brothers terminated their commitment to St. Augustine in 1977

Extent

1.25 Linear Feet (3 document boxes (two are 5" and one is 2.5"))

Repository Details

Part of the De La Salle Christian Brothers Archives of the New York District Repository

Contact:
O'Malley Library, Room 200
4513 Manhattan College Parkway
Riverdale New York 10471
718-862-7139