Skip to main content

New York Catholic Protectory. Bronx, New York

 Record Group — Box: 1-27
Identifier: NY-840

Dates

  • 1847 - 1935

Biographical / Historical

The New York Catholic Protectory was opened by the Christian Brothers on May 1, 1863 with Brother Leo as Director. It was established by the Society for the Protection of Destitute Roman Catholic Children, who's first president was Levi Silliman Ives. It's name at the time was the Roman Catholic Reformatory. At first it was located in two houses, one on 36th Street and the other on 37th Street between Second and Third Avenues. Brother Teliow took charge in August 1863. There were 64 boys in the institution. The place was destitute and their supplies meager. In 1864, the Protectory was moved to a new home in a large rented tenement building on the corner of 86th Street and Fifth Avenue. Shortly after, three dilapidated buildings were added. This setting was equally unsanitary.

In the fall of 1865, most of the older boys were transferred to a newly acquired farm in Westchester. The farm consisted of 114 acres and purchased for $40,000. The houses on the farm, which were used for school rooms and refectories, were too small and St. Raymond's Church, half a mile away, served as the boys' dormitory. Year by year, new buildings were erected on the site. In 1871, it became the New York Catholic Protectory legalized by the NY State legislature.

In 1938, the institution was closed and some remaining boys moved to Lincolndale, NY and became Lincoln Home.

Extent

12 Linear Feet (27 boxes)

Repository Details

Part of the De La Salle Christian Brothers Archives of the New York District Repository

Contact:
O'Malley Library, Room 200
4513 Manhattan College Parkway
Riverdale New York 10471
718-862-7139