Archconfraternity of the Divine Child
- 1909 - 1967
Biographical / Historical
The Archconfraternity of the Divine Child was founded by Brother Avagre FSC in Bethlehem in 1889. He stressed devotion to the Divine Child, and his good work gradually spread to all the schools of the Brothers. Encouraged by the progress of the devotion, he sought permission of the Superior of the Brothers of the Christian Schools to ask the Holy Father, the Pope, to raise the Society to the status of an Archconfraternity. He obtained Letters of Approbation from the Patriach of Jerusalem, Monsignor Camessei, in 1907, and by generous offerings, a Chapel was erected as the Center of the Society, in 1908. His Holiness, Pope Pius X, gave the Letters "Apostoliques", on July 26th, 1909, constituting the Society an Archconfraternity. In 1959, the fiftieth anniversary was observed with an annual pilgrimage to St. Patrick's Cathedral.
Throughout the world, many schools had a Chapter of the Archconfraternity.
Language of Materials
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script