St. Patrick's parish was organized in 1837 and a school opened in 1850 under the direction of the Sisters of Charity. On January 4, 1886, Monsignor Joseph F. Mooney, then Dean of Orange County and later Vicar General of the Diocese, brought the Brothers to Newburgh to take charge of St. Patrick's Parochial School, on Liberty Street. The building was the Young Men's Lyceum. The first community consisted of Brother Stephen of Jesus (Damase Gosselin, 1833-1904), Director, Brother Cyril William, in charge of First Class, and Brother Colmas Eadbert in charge of Second Class. Brother Emery Aloysius (John Fitzgerald, 1857-1920) was the Director from 1887-1899. In 1886, a new school building was built.
In 1944, Right Reverend Monsignor Henry O'Carroll started high school classes in addition to continuing the grammar grades." (pp. 198-199)
The Brothers opened the grammar school in 1886 and the high school in 1944. The building that housed the high school was built in 1898 and designed by Newburgh architect Frank E. Estabrook. It originally housed the Newburgh Wheelman's Club.
The majority of the students were from Orange and Dutchess Counties.
In August of 1967, the District Council voted to close St. Patrick's. It began to be phased out and closed completely in 1969. St. Patrick's briefly relocated to Epiphany College in New Windsor until John S. Burke High School in Goshen opened.