In 1823, St. James Parish, Brooklyn was established. That same year, a school was started in the basement of St. James Church. In 1847, Father James McDonough became pastor of St. James and asked for the Brothers to teach in his school.
In the fall of 1851, the Brothers had begun teaching in St. James, Brooklyn, with Brother Albien, one of the four pioneer French Brothers in New York, in charge. They commuted to Jay Street daily by the Fulton Street Ferry while they continued to live on Canal Street. In 1854 these Brothers left Canal Street to open a community in Brooklyn at 256 Pearl Street.
In 1907, a new, three-story and basement structure school was erected across the street from the church on the site of Bishop Loughlin's manoral estate, on the other side of Jay Street. The old school was demolished.
In 1933, St. James moved from Jay Street to Clermont Avenue and the name was changed to Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School.