The Christian Brothers began teaching in St. Louis in 1849. In September of 1850, the Brothers opened Christian Brothers Academy at Eighth and Cerre Streets; it later became known as Christian Brothers College as a result of a Charter of Incorporation secured from the Missouri State Legislature in 1855. CBC grew rapidly and soon served students from many parts of the US. The original locality eventually became undesirable and room for expansion was needed. A thirty acre tract of land was purchased in 1877 at Kingshighway and Easton Avenue, where, until the disastrous fire of October 5, 1916, the Brothers carried on the work of Christian education. Financial problems caused the Brothers to suspend activities until adequate facilities could be provided. In 1920, a new site was purchased just west of Forest Park, and the following year the new building was erected at the new location. In 1933, ROTC was added to the scholastic program. It was also known as Christian Brothers College Military High School. In 1961, a classroom and laboratory addition was completed.