La Salle Retreat Center
The retreat center began as an orphanage that Archbishop Kendrick asked the LaSallian Brothers to run. It included a working farm as well as a school. The Protectorate was dedicated in 1876 after a new building to house up to 150 orphans was built. In 1884, a fire destroyed the orphanage and the Catholic Orphan Board sold the property to the Christian Brothers who intended to use it for a Novitiate. A new building was completed and opened in 1886. New building were built over the course of the twentieth century to accomodate new activities of the Novitiate. However, the Novitiate was finally moved to Toronto in 1977. The retreat center opened in 1978.