The high school was founded as a Christian Brothers School for boys in 1964. Prior to that, from 1881 to 1960, it had been run by the Notre Dame Sisters, and diocesan priests from 1960 to 1964. Br. Maurice Welch was the first principal. In addition, Brothers Louis Gerard Pihaly and Thomas Stanislaus Filla were appointed as teachers. The Christian Brothers were moved to a different school in 1969-70.